niño de sábado

This blog was founded in order to share my thoughts, feelings, musings, rants and any other rambling thoughts with the world. Please feel free to comment, disagree, argue or just say hello. We're in the world, let's keep in touch.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

This blog is for all the parents out there, especially the dads, and especially-especially for the stay at home dads. Spending most of my days alone with a baby has been one of the most challenging experiences of my life, and it often leaves me wondering if I am the only one who has gone through this. I would love to hear from those of you who read it. Please feel free to share your comments, experiences, or advice. My daughter/Baby Ham is a marvel, a miracle, and the best reason to get up in the morning. I hope you all enjoy sharing our journey down Parenthood/Childhood Lane.

Friday, January 20, 2006


Yes, as I have said before, I am truly excited about the coming film version of DREAMGIRLS. I've dreamt of being involved in the film version of this project for years, alas, that did not come to be. Still, I'm happy the film is finally getting made. And now that they are in production, photos like the one above are being released.

Beyoncé is perfect for the role of Deena Jones, not just because of her DESTINY'S CHILD position, but because of her look and her singing voice. I hope she does a terrific job, and they don't screw up the movie by trying to make her character sympathetic. The sympathetic character is Essie, who is being played by one of my favorite AMERICAN IDOL also rans, Miss Jennifer Hudson. I thought the role was going to go to Fantasia, since there was so much buzz about her fantastic audition video (which I would love to see,) but I was just as happy when I heard Jennifer got the role. She's a big-boned girl, and that's crucial for Essie. Also, I think Jennifer has a vulerability that goes along with her big voice and performing bravado that's going to make her heartbreaking and wonderful in the role. I really wish the best for her, because she's got big shoes to fill.

I'm old enough to have seen the original, Michael Bennett directed Broadway production of Dreamgirls. Jennifer Holiday blew the roof off the theater with that powerhouse ballad, "And I Am Telling You..." I still get chills when I remember the first time I saw the production. I was standing. The tickets were very hard to get, and besides, I was so po, I couldn't even afford the last two letters to the word. So I saw the play in a standing room position. Now this is not as bad as it may sound, because you get a numbered space for standing room, and we stood right behind the last row of the orchestra, so it was just like an orchestra seat...without the seat.

I remember the production being very slick. A large cast and chorus, wonderful period costumes, lost of color, and these huge light bank columns that spun around on stage when scenes were changing. The cast included, Jennifer Holiday of course, Sheryl Lee Ralph, the divine Lorretta DeVine, Ben Harney (Jamie Fox role,) Oba Babatunde (who sang my favorite audition song "Family", I think Omarion is supposed to play this role,) and I can't remember the name of the guy who played James Thunder Early, he had a great voice, a mixture of James Brown, Wilson Pickett and gospel shouter. Eddie Murphy should be funny in the role, but his thin whiny voice won't do anything for the music.

Speaking of the music, some of the songs might be a bit old fashioned/Broadway. I imagine they are going to add some new songs, something that will be played on the radio make a hit for Beyoncé. I can understand them doing that, but I just hope they don't ruiin it. And I hope they don't cut Essie's great 2nd act number, "I Am Changing" to make more time for Beyoncé tunes.

Well, enough said. I have almost an entire year to wait for the premiere of this film. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope it's a big hit. I am a little worried about it though, because most of the younger generation have never heard about DREAMGIRLS. I asked my trainer and a couple of people in the gym a few months ago if they had ever heard of it, and all I got was blank stares. Well, what can you do.

Hears hoping DREAMGIRLS is a big enough hit to revitalize musicals once again. CHICAGO did it a few years ago, but with turkeys like THE PRODUCERS (should have got a real film director and cast) and flops like RENT, even though I liked it, it did didley at the Box Office, I'm afraid musicals may be going out of style again. I was even afraid they would cancel DREAMGIRLS after seeing a screening of the PRODUCERS. What a snooze that movie was. I saw the play on Broadway, and the director, who did the play, just staged scenes for the camera. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! A movie musical, especially in this day and age is a thing unto itself. it must be re-conceptualized for the big screen, which is exactly what they didn't do with the PRODUCERS. Too bad, Mel Brooks is a genius, and it worked like a charm on stage.

I can't wait to get back to Broadway to see, THE COLOR PURPLE, hopefully with the original cast. The reviews were not that great, but I've got a feeling I'll enjoy it. At least I enjoyed the scenes I saw on Oprah.

That's all for now, Beloved.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tara Z. said...

Wow - you took me right back to those (long ago, far away) days in New York. I remember being a struggling actor and "standing behind the seats" for DREAMGIRLS. It was amazing, of course. I've always wished I could sing. I'm a seriously bad singer. Like "horrible American Idol" kind of bad. It never stopped me from dancing around my bedroom singing to all my Broadway albums when I was a kidm, though! My husband had never seen a real Broadway musical, so when we were back in NY recently, we went to TKTS and ended up seeing FIDDLER, with Harvey Fierstein and Rosie O'Donnel. (Rosie - eh - not so much with the singing either, unfortunately.) But the music was so fantastic, and the staging was great. I started crying the minute the lights went down and the music started. (Okay, that's probably more about me and my love/hate relationship with the theatre, but that's a whole other Oprah.) In my next life I'm coming back as a musical comedy actor!

Anyway - it's great to read your words, Senor chyman. Please keep blogging. Te adoro!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home