niño de sábado

This blog was founded in order to share my thoughts, feelings, musings, rants and any other rambling thoughts with the world. Please feel free to comment, disagree, argue or just say hello. We're in the world, let's keep in touch.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

This blog is for all the parents out there, especially the dads, and especially-especially for the stay at home dads. Spending most of my days alone with a baby has been one of the most challenging experiences of my life, and it often leaves me wondering if I am the only one who has gone through this. I would love to hear from those of you who read it. Please feel free to share your comments, experiences, or advice. My daughter/Baby Ham is a marvel, a miracle, and the best reason to get up in the morning. I hope you all enjoy sharing our journey down Parenthood/Childhood Lane.

Monday, February 20, 2006

An Olympic Champion

Congratulations to Shani Davis winner of the 1,000 meter speedskating event at the Winter Olympics. He is the first African American althlete to win an individual gold medal in Winter Olympic competition.

I happened to fall asleep early on Saturday night, but woke up in time to catch the end of the speed skating event. I didn't see Shani's race, but I saw Joey Cheeks' race which earned him a silver medal and Davis the gold. Afterwards, Shani Davis was interviewed rink side. He didn't smile. He was very subdued. He answered the questions politely, with one or two word responses. The interviewer asked if he was angry and he deflected the question politely, gave her a grin for good measure and went about his business.

I'd imagine Shani's win was hampered by the controversy of his decision not to participate in a team skating event, choosing to concentrate all of his training in individual events. The American team effort didn't qualify, and some team members, namely Chad Hedrick, blamed Shani.

Reportedly, Chad felt Shani ruined his chances of winning a record 5 goal medals. Tough! Get over it, Chad. Shani is not responsible for your loot, or the visions of future endorsement deals with your mug on the Wheaties box. His decision to concentrate his training on the 1000 meter worked for him, he came in 1st, you came in 6th. When reporters asked Chad if he was happy about the outcome of the 1000 meter race, he petulantly replied, "I'm happy for Joey." referring to Cheeks, who came in second. Way to go, Chad. Let's hope you are never considered a role model for sportsmanship.

I admit that I am biased towards Shani. I identify with the Black kid, who goes after a dream that most of your peers consider weird, uncool, corny or the must hurtful insult of all, "acting white." I identify with the kid who is ostracized and left out when they compete in an arena where the color of their skin makes them an oddity. I identify with the man who dares to stand alone, no matter what the majority might want you to do. Following your own path is never easy. The pain in Shani's eyes when he was being interviewed after his win, was familiar to me. The compressed rage. The struggle to hold on to your dignity with everything you've got. The need to prove once again that you are the better man.

Shani, I saw what you were going through, brother. And I'm on your side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home